Dull, yellow-colored teeth can lessen the impact of your smile and make you feel uncomfortable and self-conscious. Most people say that the first thing they notice when meeting someone is their smile – what is your smile saying about you?
What Causes Yellowing Teeth?
Teeth can become yellow or discolored for a variety of reasons, some preventable and some not. Some common preventable reasons for yellowing include:
- Smoking and other tobacco use
- Eating foods known to be staining such as chocolate and curry
- Drinking beverages that stain such as coffee, tea, and red wine
- Improper dental hygiene
In other cases, yellowing may not be avoidable. Tooth discoloration is a natural part of the aging process. As we grow older, our enamel becomes thinner and reveals the dentin beneath, which has a naturally yellowish tint. Certain antibiotics are known to cause grayish stains on the teeth. Metal fillings (especially when used during root canals) can also cause dark discoloration of the teeth.
Professional Teeth Whitening
If the shade of your teeth is bothering you, please call our Roseville dental office today to schedule your appointment with Dr. Rhandawa. He will examine your teeth and discuss your habits and health with you to pinpoint the cause of your discoloration and determine the best course of action, which may include professional teeth whitening.
Professional teeth whitening can dramatically improve the appearance of your teeth in very little time, and it’s very safe to use. We recommend professional whitening options over the strips and gels that you can find at the drug store for a number of reasons:
- Professional products and treatments are completely customized to meet your needs. Drugstore products are often “one size fits all,” which just isn’t a practical option when it comes to teeth whitening. From the strength of the product to the shape of the trays, your whitening treatment will be designed with your unique needs in mind.
- Professional teeth whitening products contain an added desensitizing ingredient. This means that even people with sensitive teeth can whiten their teeth comfortably and safely.
- When you choose our office for teeth whitening, you’ll have access to the dentist you trust throughout your whitening process. Any time you have a question or concern, just give us a call and we’ll discuss your concern with you or ask you to come into the office.
- Professional whitening products are available in higher strengths, which means that you can get your results faster. Many of our patients appreciate this particular feature – especially those who are whitening because of an upcoming special event!
How Professional Teeth Whitening Works
We’ll start by giving your teeth a good cleaning so that your results aren’t affected by any lingering plaque or tartar. We’ll also discuss your goals and needs so that we can choose the product and strength that is right for you and will give you the results that you want.
Dr. Rhandawa will show you how to use the product and make sure that all your questions are answered and that you are comfortable using your kit. Then you’ll get to go home and complete the whitening process in the comfort and convenience of your own home.
Give us a call today to schedule your consultation and get started! You’ll have the smile you’ve always wanted in a shorter time than you might think.